Saturday, September 7, 2013

Kay and Reuel's Babymaker

My Aunt Katie married a great guy - Reuel - last fall.  My aunt helped me through a hard patch in my life and has been a great example and friend to me.  Where I don't usually make quilts for everyone who gets married (not even close!), I really did want to make one for her.  It has been finished for a while now, but for various reasons, I still have it in my possession!  Bad me!  She has seen it however, loves it, and is eagerly awaiting its arrival to her home.

IMG_1420

After the pokeys incident with Katie and Cody's babymaker, and after lots of research on how to avoid it happening again, I came to the conclusion that I would try invisible thread...I AM A BELIEVER! Black thread on the back and invisible thread on the front...quilting went without a hitch.

IMG_1422

My mom helped me pick the fabrics and I drafted a pattern of a finished quilt I had seen on Pinterest. The colors and design, I feel, are perfect for my aunt's personality.  Warm and country feeling.  I did a custom quilting on this quilt, too, and really love how it turned out.  My favorite part is the outer border with the straight line quilting.  It just speaks to me.

IMG_1424
 
The whole quilt was an absolute joy to make, start to finish.  Oh!  And I discovered something wonderful!  Crayola washable markers are fantastic for marking quilts!  You have to wash the quilt in warm water afterwards, but since I do that for colorfastness (I use Shout Color Catchers on every quilt prevent any bleeding) anyway it was no big deal.  Cheap and easy!

IMG_1427
 
Fun story about the backing...my Grandma gave me a carload -literally - of fabric from her stash as she was preparing to move.  I have no idea when or where it was bought, but it goes perfectly with every other fabric in the quilt!  I am pretty ecstatic about the gorgeous match.

IMG_1429
I'm still trying to figure out quilt labels...I'm getting closer here
 
IMG_1433
 
IMG_1419
And a special thanks to my sister, Emily, for her help...crazy thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment