I started these blocks in high school (a quilt kit my mom bought me), but never finished them - I tend to leave sewing projects unfinished if they are for myself (something I am working on! I need to spoil myself too!) or not for someone in particular. Unfortunately, some of the blocks were so incorrectly pieced that I chose not to use them, which left me with the design I have and an added border. Sometimes mistakes are good for the finished product, however - I really do love how it all turned out! Initially, I hand-bound the quilt, but after washing it, some areas had pulled away so I zig-zagged over my stitched. It made the borders wavy, but Mom assured me it made it more sweet and whimsical.
This is the first quilt I've made with a minky. Now I know why! ;) Minky is horrible to sew! I am a big-time presser/ironer too...and you can't iron minky without those darling dots disappearing. It was a test of my OCD. ;) I do have to say - minky is not horrible to quilt on. Once it was basted on the back, it was beautiful to quilt! And you really don't get anything more snuggly than dotted minky.
It makes my heart giggle!
I quilted it in a coordinating brown thread. I had lots of victories with this quilt! I had perfect thread tension, my meanders and getting better, and I think I finally found the quilting thread my machine likes best! (Coats and Clark Quilting and Piecing, which is 65% poly and 35% cotton) I had one funny moment, too. I couldn't figure out why the minky was making it so difficult to quilt...it wasn't the minky. The feed dogs were engaged for almost half of the time. Oops!
My husband thinks it is "reeeaaally cute" and my mom says it looks like a quilt "a little kid will grab and snuggle and bury his face in!"
All wrapped up to give away
No comments:
Post a Comment