Friday, August 30, 2013

Zariah

My husband has a 15 month old sister - Zariah.  She is a little bundle of joy!  The older she gets, the more I fall in love with her.  She is at the perfect little age right now - just in between a baby and a toddler.  Oh she's so cute!  For her first birthday, I pieced a quilt for her.  I hand appliqued the curly brackets and "Z", so it wasn't quite finished on time...and then summer rolled around...which means my sewing hibernates until the fall season is threatening.  So I got it done 3 months after her birthday - could have been worse! - and it is absolutely gorgeous!  And let's be truthful...if I had a little girl, regardless of if her name started with "Z", I probably would have kept it. I love it that much.

235 modified 
I used a combination of left over fabric from Katie and Cody's babymaker as well as some new picks.
Approx. 40"x40"

237 modified
Two of my favorite fabrics in the quilt
236 modified

As if I wasn't elated about the finished product, this next part is total icing on the cake.  At Zariah's birthday party, I showed my mother-in-law the unfinished product.  She was very sweet about it and liked it a lot.  But a quilt changes form immensely just from being quilted and bound.  When I presented her with the finished quilt, she about came out of her skin!  She ooh-ed and aw-ed over it and was so excited.  (It it the best when people kinda make a big deal about a quilt...they are a lot of work and meant to be treasured!)  She called Zariah's name and held up the quilt for her to see...I honestly had no expectation whatsoever for Z's reaction...she's 15 months...  What came next about made me cry.  She turned to her mom - her eyes got so big and she smiled across her whole face, ran as fast as she could to the quilt, stretched her tiny arms as wide as they would go to grab as much quilt as possible, and just buried her face into it!  She knew it was hers and she was delighted.  I want to make this girl quilt after quilt just because of her reaction!  I know it will be well loved.  To tatters, I hope!

238 modified
I love those curly brackets!
241 modified
The backing fabric
Is this not absolutely delicious??

No comments:

Post a Comment